Wednesday 25 February 2009

A new bike

I went to our local bike shop this evening and tried out several two-wheelers. Having been out of the picture in terms of bikes for at least 15 years, I needed some advice, and the salesman in the shop was very helpful. Three test rides later, I finally settled on the VSF T50, which offered the optimum mix of city bike and firmer feel that I appear to like (not something that I necessarily expected). Not wanting to spend my money without doing the due dilligence, I also checked out other offers, but I finally decided to go for the one that I liked in the first place. A question of gut feeling I suppose.

You can't part me from my VSF Fahrradmanufactur T50! Now play!What struck me today is how much bike technology has moved on: the dynamo for the headlight is now built into the wheel, the back light is an automatic context-sensitive dynamo-driven affair, and in order to shift gears, you simply twist the inner part of the right handle and the gears slip smoothly from one to the next. Even the chain has disappeared behind a slick, flexible cover, so no more bicycle clips and ruined trousers.
Here's to being a biker! Leather jacket and Lemmy beard to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment